About the Book:
The Book of Sides is a collection of original scenes that you can use in the classroom to improve the structure of your acting and directing classes and workshops.
Looking for fresh, original scenes for your fast-paced acting or directing class? Tired of the same old material everyone recognizes? Want the flexibility to play any character in any scene?
Book of Sides: Original, Short Scenes for Actors and Directors offers scenes that are considerably shorter than those in similar books but still feature the structure of typical scenes with arcs, clear playable objectives, and stakes for both actors. Here you will find scenes that are:
• One-page in length and specially designed for new, high-intensity exercises that help students develop quickly.
• Printed in an easily readable, film-script format that provides plenty of room for annotations.
• Completely original, allowing you to produce and distribute reinterpretations without worrying about copyright restrictions.
• Universally castable, with roles that can be assigned to actors regardless of gender, appearance, skill level, or race.
• Simple and conducive to performing in the classroom without props, costumes, or sets.
• Perfect for audition workshops and crowded directing or acting classes where everyone wants an opportunity to perform.
• Written in accessible, contemporary language that keeps student actors engaged.
Don't miss out! In Book of Sides, author and educator Dave Kost brings two decades of teaching experience to the table to deliver the ideal set of scenes for busy classroom settings, auditions, and general training.
What people say:
"Dave Kost has given us a gold mine of short scenes for the actor and director. Perfect for the classroom and auditions." — John Badham, film professor and film and television director, Saturday Night Fever; War Games; Stakeout
"These scenes are unlike anything else out there. They will improve the pace of directing and acting classes and can be used in ways traditional scenes cannot. This is a game changer." — David Ward, film professor and writer/director, The Sting; Sleepless in Seattle; Major League
"Book of Sides provides a much needed resource of versatile short scenes written to allow actors to use their imaginations and make the scenes fresh each time." — Martha Coolidge, film professor and film and television director, Rambling Rose; The Prince & Me; Real Genius
About the Author:
Dave Kost is currently a professor at Chapman University's Dodge College of Film and Media Arts where he teaches filmmaking. He has made over a dozen varied, award-winning short films that have been featured in festivals and on television around the world. At Chapman, he also formed the first BFA degree of its kind in Screen Acting: an interdisciplinary degree offered between Chapman's theater and film departments.